Welcome to a new look to the website. It had a slightly awkward birth, and needs a few tweaks here and there over the next week or so. There are a few more developments to come. Meanwhile note you can add comments easily, and submit your own posts too.
For those of you not lucky enough to get a shiny paper copy through your door, the latest Strathbungo Newsletter is available now, and you can read it here. It even features our new logo.
It is also filed in the Bygone Bungo newsletter archive with its predecessors.
Famous for its residents’ stalls selling everything from bric-a-brac and jewellery to homemade food and crafts, Bungo in the Back Lanes is an annual community festival that takes place in the lanes of Strathbungo.
The most exciting part of the festival is seeing which DIY stalls are set up on the day. Previous years have produced snail races, jumble stalls and a guess-the-sweeties-in-the-jar competition.
This year, #BitBL2018 is on 23rd June 2018.
Do you want to put up a stall?
Are you happy to host a stall or three in your garden?
Here’s what you need to know:
- Residents are free to open up their garden or let someone else use it. Please let us know if you are happy for your garden to be used and we can help match you with a stallholder.
- If you are not a resident and are planning on setting up a stall outside someone’s garden, please check first that they are happy for you to do so. Alternatively, there are several spots along the side lanes that are not directly outside people’s gardens.
- If you are selling from your garden, make sure you have good signage on the lane letting people know what awaits them. Otherwise, nobody will know!
- Do let us know where your stall is so we can add it onto our map.
- If you are planning on selling food, you will need a food safety licence from the council. Please contact:
Alison Lochrin, Technical Officer (Food Safety)
Business Regulation, Environmental Health and Trading Standards
Land and Environmental Services
231 George Street, Glasgow, G1 1RX
0141 287 7990
There’s more detail on our BitBL FAQs page. If in doubt, drop us an email at email@example.com and we’ll do our best to help.
It will be on 23rd June, folks…
More details in due course, but anyone interested in a commercial stall can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register their interest.
Spring is here! (well, almost) And so is Strathbungo’s Spring Fling…
The Bungo Bake Off is back, with some terrific prizes. Email email@example.com with “Bake Off” in the subject line for more information and to register.
And come along on the day – there’s something for everyone with home baking, craft market and face painting.
by Andrew Greg
Gavin Stamp, who sadly died on 30 December 2017, was known to many of us in Strathbungo as a former neighbour and friend who was tireless in his rediscovery and promotion of Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson as an architect of international importance. On the wider, even international, stage, he was a campaigner for architectural conservation, active in the Victorian Society and a co-founder and long-time chair of the Thirties, later Twentieth Century, Society. He was generous with his time to the Strathbungo Society, presenting a lively lecture on Thomson at one of our at one of our AGMs and being interviewed by the Strathbungo News in Autumn 1996.