Emergency and Other Services

To Report Service Faults

  • Electricity: 0800 092 9290 for emergencies (other numbers available here)
  • Gas: 0800 111 999
  • Water: 0800 0778 778


For all incidents requiring immediate assistance from the police, ambulance or fire services, ring 999.
Please do not use this number for non-emergency incidents.

Non-emergency Incidents

To report break-ins, car theft, vandalism and other incidents of a non-emergency nature, phone the national non-emergency line on 101 – it costs 15p per call, regardless of whether you phone from a mobile or landline. It is available 24 hours a day.

Other options:

  • Southside Community Liaison Officers are at Gorbals station (532 5300).
  • Crimestoppers is a free number (0800 555 111) where you may report information about criminals or criminal activity. Calls are anonymous: you do not have to give your name or any other personal information. The call is not recorded nor can it be traced.
  • ChildLine is the free 24-hour helpline for children and young people, who can call 0800 1111 about any problem, at any time – day or night. ChildLine’s counsellors are there to help you find ways to sort things out.
  • Victim Support Scotland gives advice and support to anybody who has been affected by crime.


  • Roads and Lighting: for emergencies, the number is 0800 373 635
  • Cleansing (e.g. missed uplift): 0141 287 9700

Nowadays, the Council prefers problems and issues to be reported online. Their directory of services signposts you to the appropriate way to do this. A number of services are now covered by “MyGlasgow”, which is an online service available via the Council website or by using the MyGlasgow app (obtainable from http://www.mycouncilservices.com/download/).

Strathclyde Fire Brigade

Ring 999 to report a fire in progress. The local fire brigade is at:

Polmadie Fire Station
Calder Street
Tel: 0141 423 2223

The Brigade also has a helpline for free home fire safety advice on 0800 0731 999 (line open 24 hours a day).

1 Comment

  1. Andy Munro

    Amendment required to your Community Police Officer. I left the Community Police in January 2008, I resigned from Strathclyde Police in October 2010 having moved to Melbourne. I enjoyed my time as the Community Officer for Strathbungo. Thought I should update you having found my name on your web site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.