Are you planning on having a stall in your garden or lane on Saturday?
Please ensure that you have adequate signage for your stall on the day, especially if you are tucked away in a garden. This helps us to keep people moving but – more important – helps them to find you so that you can earn more money in sales!
Running this event takes a fair bit of work so we’re asking if there are any folk who would like to help out, especially on the day (June 17 this year), although there is some preparation work as well:
- help by putting posters up around the area (and taking them down)
- help to make sure the lanes are free of rubbish and hazards
- help by moving your car / van / camper / trailer / etc out of the lanes on the day (June 17)
- help to set up and take down on the day
- help to steward the lanes on the day
- help on one of the stalls on the day
For more on what’s needed and how to volunteer, check our Volunteers page.
THE MUST-VISIT EVENT !
The Southside’s biggest residents’ lanes event is being held this coming Saturday, 17th June from 1-4pm.
This year will see the return of music, bars, tombola, food, children’s play area and much more.You can see the map of what will be where here.
For information about volunteering or hosting a stall, please email email@example.com.
Hey folks, while you’re thinking of what to do for Bungo in the Back Lanes 2017 (Saturday 17th June), along comes another Strathbungo-based event from the folks that brought you Strathbungo Window Wanderland – with funding support from the Strathbungo Society.
The Council’s Street Play programme offers a free road closure – it usually costs around £1,000 – so residents have decided to take up the offer and stage the first-ever Regent Park Square Street Party on Sunday 4 June 2017.
It’s got something for everyone; for the kids, there’s a Cycle Fun event and Sports Day; there’s home baking for discerning diners (please get in touch with organisers if you want to donate); a Bungo SwapShop (what can you swap, to get?) and – from 4.30pm – a self-organised, come ye all, Bungo BBQ (bring your own stuff).
Everyone’s welcome and the hope is that the road will be car-free all day! So hop, skip, jump or simply stroll down and mingle with the crowds.
It’s free and everyone’s welcome, but feel free to donate to keep the party going next year!
After a week that saw snow, the day of Spring Fling enjoyed glorious sun that brought hundreds of local people into this year’s new venue of Langside Halls. The home baking donated by Strathbungo Society members and friends was a great attraction in the vintage-themed tea-room. Stall holders in the craft fair demonstrated the range of creativity at work in the Southside – with everything from hats to blankets to jewellery to greeting cards to ceramics to fashion for sale.
This year’s Bungo Bake-Off was even more popular than last year and the nearly two dozen entries looked amazing. Our guest judges – Chris from Christopher Robin and Jules from Snugglemuffin – had a tough job assessing the cakes, and after much deliberation Kevin Kane, Society Chair, awarded the following prizes:
1st prize: Michelle Aaron for Coconut and Passion-fruit Cake
2nd prize: Frances Johnstone for Chocolate and Honey Cake
3rd prize: Adell Mitchell for Lemon and Elderflower Drizzle Cake
1st prize: Luca Corbett
Joint 2nd prize: Alexander Thomson
Joint 2nd prize: Matilda Barr
Thanks to everyone that made the event such a success. Firstly to Jules and Chris the Bake-Off Judges; to all those who donated prizes for the Bake-Off (Rosie Ilett and Gerry Hassan, Bakery 47, Christopher Robin, Gusto and Relish and Rock ‘n Rollers) and to all those who took part, and congratulations to the prize winners; to all the stall holders who came along and displayed their fabulous work; to everyone from the Strathbungo Society and their friends who helped on the day and who donated home baking, and to those who made other donations – Fenwick’s Café, Eastwood Toll; Snugglemuffin and Water Coolers Scotland. Thanks to Vera and the team at Langside Halls for all their help – and most of all to everyone who came along.
You’ll find photos from the event on our Facebook page. The photos are courtesy of Scott Obzrud, Tatiana dos Santos and Sharon Schweps.
The Strathbungo Society invites entries for the Bungo Bake-Off 2017
to be judged on Saturday March 25th 2017
at the Society’s Spring Fling at Langside Hall (The Large Hall),
5 Langside Ave, Shawlands, Glasgow G41 2QR
Event runs from 11.30 – 3.00 – see below for Bake-Off timings
The Bungo Bake-Off is becoming a major part of the Strathbungo Society’s annual Spring Fling event with some fabulous prizes for 2017 winners.
1st prize: A 2 night stay (for up to 4 people) in a refurbished fisherman’s cottage by the sea in Galloway (donated by Rosie Ilett and Gerry Hassan).
Other prizes: Rock ‘n Rollers; Gusto and Relish; Christopher Robin and Bakery 47 have also donated other prizes for 2nd and 3rd placings and runners-up.
Bake-Off instructions & timings:
- Bakers from the Southside of Glasgow are invited to submit a cake or a plate of cakes that they have made from scratch to the theme of ‘Spring’.
- Fee to enter the Bake-Off is £2 per cake or plate of cakes to be paid in cash when submitting entry. This fee also covers entry into the Spring Fling event.
- Bakers can submit any number of entries (each will incur a £2 entry fee).
- All those entering the Bungo Bake-Off are expected to be amateur bakers and not selling/promoting cakes as a business or secondary activity.
- All cakes must be delivered on Saturday March 25th to The Large Hall, Langside Hall between 10.30 a.m. and 11.00 a.m to be signed in by a Spring Fling helper who will give you a receipt and a Spring Fling ticket.
- Any cakes arriving after 11.00 cannot be entered into the judging. No other arrangements can be made for cakes to be entered.
- The judging – led by a professional cake expert – will take place between 11.15 and 12.00. Judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced at the event, and all entries are then available for viewing. Winners are required to make themselves available for any media interest and coverage that may arise from this event.
- All bakers are invited to collect their cakes from the Hall from 1.00 onwards unless you wish to donate your cakes to be sold at the Spring Fling’s Tea Room in aid of the Strathbungo Society. Please say when you submit your cake for the Bake Off if you will donate or collect your entry.
Please contact Rosie Ilett on firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to enter Bake-Off or if you have any queries.
Welcome in 2017 with music, festive fun and a countdown to the bells at Strathbungo’s annual Hogmanay Street Party on 31st December.
Gather outside 52 Marywood Square from 11:45pm.
If anyone is bringing children along, get them banging pan lids with wooden spoons as loudly as possible from either end of Strathbungo as you approach.
See you there!
Weans in the Lanes is on this Sunday between 10am-12pm – look out for bunting to tell you which lanes are taking part.